Goal setting is important, without setting goals we can feel like we are drifting through life without much direction. We may know what we want out of life but we may not know how to get there.
Goal setting helps us plan for the future and to think positively about it. Goals give us direction, it is like a road map for life. Without goals we are passive in our lives and we don’t live to our full potential. With goals we have mastery over our own lives, we gain confidence in our abilities and we learn new skills and strategies as we work towards our goals. We get what we want out of life.
There are some key points to setting goals:
• Be specific, rather than “I want to save money” say “I will save $20 per week”.
• Be realistic, but also challenge yourself, for example, if you have a knee injury, running a marathon might not be realistic, but walking every day might be.
• Be positive, focus on what you want rather than what you don’t want, for example “I will eat a piece of fruit a day” rather than “I’ll stop eating junk food”.
• Break bigger goals into smaller, easily achievable goals.
• Make sure you actually want to achieve the goal, that it isn’t something you ‘should’ do.
Goal setting is one of the many topics covered in My Life My Dreams which will run again in February 2021, for more information contact Nicole on 4862 1122.