Money Tips for Christmas from NILS & ASIC
Quick & Easy Tips to help you enjoy the Christmas Season without breaking the bank.
• Have a pre-Christmas clean up: garage sale, online sale or local buy swap and sell for unused items
• Make a list and check it twice: presents, entertainment supplies & travel plans
• Track your spending: use an app, write it down or keep track using on line banking
• Be careful using Christmas credit: before signing up to ‘buy now pay later services’ make sure you understand how much your repayments will be and when they are due
• Be a scrooge online: look for ways to save every cent that you can i.e. do a web search for discount or coupon codes that you can use at the checkout.
• Keep a lid on spending: there is a lot of pressure to spend up big on gifts this time of year, but pricey presents aren’t necessarily the way to go, pre-agree with family on a spending limit regarding how much you will spend on gifts for each other to keep your budgets under control.
• Set a time limit on your shopping: Get in get it done so you aren’t tempted to spend more than you want to.
• Lighten the load Christmas Day: Share the catering, buy only what you need, check advertised specials at supermarkets, use loyalty credits where available.
• Start Planning for next Christmas: Shop the sales and use layby where possible, open a high interest savings account in January and contribute a small amount to it every day ($20 per week will add up to over $1,000 in a years’ time).